Rent Arrears

Tenants facing eviction for non-payment of rent can apply to receive financial assistance from the Housing Stability Benefit program. If a tenant's application is approved, the outstanding rent is paid directly to the landlord on behalf of the tenant.
How do I know if I am eligible to apply for Rent Arrears?

You may be eligible if:
Rent Arrears Appeals

If a client is dissatisfied with the outcome, he/she may appeal directly to the Executive Director or designate to have his/her application reviewed.  Within seven (7) days, a reassessment will determine if the client meets the eligibility requirements according to the City of Hamilton rules.  Appeals can only be granted if the individual meets eligibility criteria.  The applicant will be contacted by Hamilton Housing Help Centre with a written outcome of the result of the appeal including the reason for the outcome.
To determine if you qualify, contact the Housing Help Centre at 905-526-8100
You are facing eviction for nonpayment of rent

You have received an N4 (notice to end tenancy Early for nonpayment of rent) or a Hearing notice/order

You are a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident or made    application for permanent residency or have made a claim for   refugee protection.

In order to be considered for the benefit, your net income must be at or below LICO 2006.

Assistance provided up to $1,500 per 24 months for families with children and dependent adults.

Assistance provided up to $800 per 24 months for singles and couples without children.

Approved assistance will be paid directly to the landlord.

You will also be required to provide proof of all of the above.
Rent Arrears
Phone:  (905) 526-8100
Fax:  (905) 528-1448

119 Main Street East
Hamilton, Ontario
L8N 3Z3